Words Rhymes & Rhythm is pleased to announce the GREEN GRIOT project, an innovative drive to tell the Nigeria story and at the same time give (young) Nigerian fiction writers a platform to express their creativity.
The GREEN GRIOTS is a community of (young) Nigerian storytellers sharing refreshingly indigenous stories that retell the past, the present and the future of Nigeria, her peoples and the ‘little nothings’ that spice up their everyday grind.
Anyone and everyone who writes fiction from the Nigerian point of view is eligible to become a GREEN GRIOT, because it is meant to be a platform for all. Ahead of the launch of this story-telling platform, we are accepting original short stories about Nigeria and Nigerians from writers all over the world on any of the categories below:
- Urban fiction, also known as street lit, which present the socio-economic realities and culture of Nigerian characters in urban environments
- Horror stories that narrate events which voke a feeling of dread and sometimes fear in both the characters and the reader
Erotic literature which could be fictional and/or factual accounts of human sexual relationships and experiences intended to arouse the reader sexually
- Folktales and other stories that bear the characteristics of the culture, folklore and customs of the Nigerian people and community about which is being told
- Comedy/Humor stories generally that are intended to be humorous, exploring the lighter side of the average Nigerian’s life
- Inspirational stories that represent perspectives and thoughts on life and provide readers with an opportunity for reflections about life
All intending GRIOTS should however note that all submitted content must be the original work of the writer submitting it, because we take the issue of copyright seriously.
I am a member of the WRR editorial team.