This is a call for submissions for ‘Imomotimi’, an anthology of poems and essays in honour of the late Nigerian poet Pa Gabriel Imomotimi Okara to be published by Words Rhymes & Rhythm Publishers in April 2019.
Writers from all over the world are invited to submit one poem or essay celebrating and immortalizing the great poet, with focus on his contributions to Nigerian and African literature.
‘Imomotimi’, which is Pa Okara’s middle name, is an Ijaw word meaning ‘stay with me’. We believe this echoes the sentiments of all those who have had the privilege of enjoying his gift of poetry for the past 7 decades.
His words will ‘stay with us’ forever.
- Send entries to SUBMISSIONS@WRR.NG with ‘IMOMOTIMI’ as subject
- Only one entry per writer is allowed
- No attachments allowed – send poem as the body of the mail
- Length of the poem should not exceed 30 lines plus title
- Essays should be 600 words or less
- Entrant must be the original author of the submitted poem
- Previously published poems, with the exception of those on personal blogs and social media) will not be accepted
- All entrants should submit a biography (50 words maximum) with their entries
Friday 12th April 2019.
- The anthology will be published on Thursday 25th of April 2019 – the one month anniversary of his transition – and will be available for FREE DOWNLOAD on our website: WWW.WRR.NG/DOWNLOAD/
- The anthology will be edited by award-winning writer, literary promoter and publisher, Kukogho Iruesiri Samson, and Timi Nipre, a multi-genre writer from Bayelsa State who has authored 3 books – Cyclamens (prose), Words From My Fathers, and Abiku (play).
- No prizes will be awarded.
- Submission does not guarantee publication
- Entries will be edited where there is need
GABRIEL OKARA (born Gabriel Imomotimi Okara on 24 April 1921) was a Nigerian poet and a novelist who was born in Bumoundi in Yenagoa, Bayelsa State, Nigeria. His most famous works include: The Voice(fiction, 1964), The Fisherman’s Invocation (poetry, 1978), The Dreamer, His Vision (poetry, 2005) and An Adventure to Juju Island (children poetry, 1992). Okara is a widely celebrated writer, especially for his poetry and his awards include: Best All-Round Entry In Poetry at the Nigerian Festival of Arts (‘The Call of the River Nun’, 1953), Commonwealth Poetry Prize, for The Fisherman’s Invocation (1979), NLNG Prize, for The Dreamer, His Vision (2005) and Pan African Writers’ Association Honorary Membership Award (2009). He died on Monday 25th March 2019 aged 97 [Source: Wikipedia].
3 thoughts on “CALL FOR SUBMISSIONS: ‘IMOMOTIMI’ – THE GABRIEL OKARA ANTHOLOGY”
That is good. I will submit one poem
Do you mind if I quote a few of your articles as long as I provide credit and sources back to your
webpage? My blog site is in the very same area of interest as yours and
my users would certainly benefit from a lot of the information you present here.
Please let me know if this alright with you. Thanks!
Please do go ahead and quote.
Comments are closed.