Here is the shortlist of 10 poems that made it into the 2nd round of the Eriata Oribhabor Poetry Prize 2014 (#EOPP2014):
1. PETALS IN THE MORNING SUN by Ekene Ogugua 4
2. AFRICA’S BITTER SONG by Elijah Gbenga 2
3. WE ARE TIRED by Oku-ola Paul Abiola 2
4. FEARLESS FIGHTER (Tribute to Nelson Mandela) by Yomi Oguntoyinbo 2
5. RENAISSANCE by Joseph Ugwuanyi 2
6. FINGERS OF HOMAGE by Justice Uchenna Mmahi 2
7. GO ASK THE FLOOD by Fubaraibi Benstowe 2
8. STUDENT by Oyin Oludipe Oludipe Oyin 2
9. THE NIGERIAN EQUATION by Onwuasoanya Chika Jones 2
10. I AM MORE by Owoicho Apochi-Nelson 2
“It was tough considering that most of the poems are alike in all senses. Nice poems I must say. I had to screen based on errors and the like that crept up, in some cases, overt repetitions or things of the like that didn’t make sense. Still, it was a really close one and I only have ten here because I have no option.”
~ Judge 4 report
Congratulations to the shortlisted candidates and better luck next time to those that did not make it.
The second round of judging is on.
Kukogho Iruesiri Samson
WRR Group Founder/Curator
I am a member of the WRR editorial team.