Patriotic Nigerian poets living in or outside the country are hereby invited to submit well-worded poems on Nigeria for an anthology that seeks to poetically rewrite the sad story of our nation’s journey from 2015 to 2017.
The slow beginnings of the current administration, the hiccups, especially the recession and insurgency have left Nigerians wondering the direction the boat of our nation is sailing.
2017 is here! We need to sing of hope, to rewrite the narrative of our nationhood, to encourage our political leaders to give Nigerians the best of services. We need to get the boat of our nation to sail smoothly. We want to write off the era of turbulence because:
- We can’t move forward as a nation if we don’t have confidence in our political leaders.
- We can’t make progress as a nation if we abuse our leaders at every turn.
- We can’t solve the collective problems of our nation if we don’t wish our country well.
- We can’t succeed by condemning every move our leaders make!
- We need to be hopeful, to suggest ways of moving our country forward.
Towards this vision, we have initiated this poetry project and we wish all Nigerian poets will work with us to make our country better.
If you believe and are truly committed to nation building, and you are a poet, just write a poem no more than 25 lines on any of the experiences of or problems facing Nigeria (2015 to 2017), ending the poem on an optimistic note.
You are free to spit fire, to vent your anger on the establishment, to punch the air with your poem, to decry, to mock, to choose your tune/mood, but end the poem on an optimistic note, beckon on dawn and spring to smile on your land!
- Entries should be mailed to: email@example.com
- Entries should be accompanied by a thirty-word bio of the poet
- Entries should not be more than 25 lines
- Each poet should send in only one (1) poem
- Submission DEADLINE: 30th March, 2017
- Only 150 poems will be selected from the entries for the anthology
- The anthology will be published in April 2017 and publicly presented in May 2017
- Submitting your poem means you have given the organizers the right to publish your work in the proposed anthology
- Each featured poet will get an e-copy of the anthology free (or a hard copy if you can pick it up at the unveiling)
This project is for those who believe in the unity, peace, and overall progress of our nation. It’s for those who wish that the problems of Nigeria be solved for the good of Nigerians, that a better future awaits Nigerians.
Words Rhymes & Rhythm Publishers Ltd. is a proud supporter of this project.
(GM, FRCN, Unity FM, Abakalik)
Iduma Chris Mayor