Words Rhymes & Rhythm invites poets and lovers of literature to send in well-worded poems for the ERIATA ORIBHABOR POETRY PRIZE (EOPP), 2015 edition.
The poems should be on the sub-themes of: Unity, Truth, Justice, Change and Sustainable Development in society.
EOPP was instituted in 2012 to give the much needed attention to Nigerian poetry and encourage young Nigerian poets to use poetry as a tool for social change.
The yearly contest has already awarded over N150, 000 in prize money to nine (9) poets in the past editions.
PRIZES TO BE WON:
- First Prize – Book Publishing Scholarship with Something for Everybody Ventures (SFEV)
- A shortlist of 10 poets will receive SFEV certificates of recognition and a copy each of Beautiful Poisons by Eriata Oribhabor
- A sponsor’s shortlist of 5 poets will receive certificates of recognition and Crossroads & The Rubicon by Eriata Oribhabor
- A total of twenty poems inclusive of that mentioned above will be selected for inclusion in the EOPP anthology to be published by SFEV.
- Contestants are invited to submit a maximum of two (2) poems on the above theme.
- All submissions should be made via email as BODY of mail to email@example.com with the subject: ‘ERIATA ORIBHABOR POETRY PRIZE 2015’.
- All entries must be the original work of the poet submitting it.
- There’s no limit to the number lines of any poem.
- Authors must add their full names and a biography (100 words maximum) in the body of the e-mail inclusive of full name, email address and phone number (s).
- Poems containing profanity or vulgarity will be disqualified.
- The poems will be judged based on their artistic quality and creativity.
- The judges’ decision is final and under no circumstances will they enter into any correspondence with entrants regarding their decisions.
- Authors retain copyright of their poems but submission gives us the permission to publish selected poems in a future anthology as mentioned above.
- Entries are free.
ELIGIBILITY: Nigerian residents in any part of the world are eligible.
CLOSING DATE: Entries will be received until the Friday 7th of August, 2015
HISTORY OF THE EOPP
The ERIATA ORIBHABOR POETRY PRIZE (EOPP) started as brainchild of Sir Eriata Oribhabor who saw the need to establish special reward mechanism for young Nigerian poets.
As a promoter of Naija Languej, poetry and photography Sir Eriata believes that poetry and the arts are agents of social change that must routinely encouraged and routinely.
EOPP began in November 2012 organized by Words Rhymes & Rhythm with a N50,000 cash prize sponsored by Sir Eriata.
Now in its 4th year, the EOPP is the singular poetry prize dedicated to young Nigerian poets.
So far, three Nigerian poets have won the prize; Nwakanma Chika in 2012, Madu Chisom Kingdavid in 2013 and Darlington Ekene Ogugua in the 2014 edition.
This year’s edition promises to be bigger.
PROFILE – Eriata Oribhabor
Eriata Oribhabor is a poet and former Chairman of the Association of Nigerian Authors (ANA) Abuja chapter. His revolutionary strides as chairman of ANA Abuja returned the chapter to its pride of place as the centre of literary activities, especially with its much celebrated and high profile guest author reading sessions. He championed the maiden edition of the Abuja’s version of the 100 Thousand Poets for Change event; a global non-governmental literary organization promoting poetry as a tool for ”seizing and redirecting the political and social dialogue of the day,” hoping to turn ”the narrative of civilization
towards peace and its sustainability” for societal uplift. Eriata is renowned as a promoter of languej and has written and edited poetry books in the language
viz; ”Abuja na Kpangba an Oda puem dem” (IFRAOribhabor, 2011). He is the Editor; If Yu Hie Se A De Prizin; antoloji of puem-dem fo languej. Author of ”Beautiful Poisons” and forthcoming works include; Gud Old (a collection of Essays written in English) and Editor, ”Amebo Yad and oda ple-dem” an anthology of plays written in languej Naijá
Oribhabor manages a publishing outfit called Something for Everybody Ventures.
His personal websites are http://www.naijalangwej.com and http://www.somtinfoevribodi.com while he blogs at oribhabor.wordpress.com.
He enjoys discussions on topical issues, traveling, tours and adventures.
Mr Oribhabor is passionate about positive change for his country Nigeria and encourages young writers to develop their potentials towards achieving their dreams.
Kukogho Iruesiri Samson
CEO WRR Ltd.
+234 (0) 80-60109295
firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com
One thought on “CALL FOR SUBMISSIONS: ERIATA ORIBHABOR POETRY PRIZE 2015 (EOPP 2015)”
If you sent it, it has been received. Be rest assured.