BRING OUR CASKET HOME (1 & 4)
It comes to that day when we must all eternal dues pay
if that hour when we lose our way and don’t make it chimes today
whether we fall in lands far as Rome,
please, bring our casket home.
We are full, fools full of the torch of hope
with which we the stark darkness of the future grope.
If we skip with faith
but get our ropes cut by fate
help our spirits not to in foreign lands roam:
Bring our casket home.
Whenever time decides to pick –
at strength’s peak, healthy, weak or sick
our memories are our casket, the tomb us
earth and fire our home and force.
If then, we fall or fly at any time
may our souls beat to Aôndo’s graceful rhyme.
That the memories of our souls would glow
to give smiles and keep our entirety whole
keep us in you, spread our word and you would find the soul of our poem:
Bring our casket home.
SU’EDDIE VERSHIMA AGEMA
Su’eddie Vershima AGEMA is a prolific all rounded writer – would swim in the tides of any of the genres.
In 2011 Su’eddie won third position for the Poetry (Rhymed Lines Category) in the Beautiful Lines Poetry Contest .
He has recenlty published collection of poems, ‘BRING OUR CASKET HOME: Tales one shouldn’t tell’, a collection that encompasses several themes from the love not usually seen in our poetry too much to the usual nationalism, life, death (of course), hope and loads of fun stuff.
There’s a theme on the origin of sex!
Oh well, it’s covert so don’t worry, the children wouldn’t notice.
He also wrote, directed and produced a play, ‘Never Late’, an educational enlightenment play that was acted in Bantaje in 2010.
Currently, Su’eddie is working on a short story collection at the moment that would be out by the first quarter.
Su’eddie has also contributed literary and developmental chapters to journals, stories and poems to different collections and sites.
He blogs at http://sueddie.wordpress.com and http://sueddie.sentinelnigeria.org. He also contributes to http://naijastories.com/author/sueddie.
AWARDS and RECOGNITION:
- Certificate of Recognition for Promotion of Naija Langwej by Something for Everybody Venture (2012)
- Association of Nigerian Authors National President and Benue Chapter Merit Award for
- Poet/Inspiring Official (2011).Association of Nigerian Authors National President and Benue Chapter Merit Award for Short Story Writer/Dedicated Leader (2011).
- 3rd Position (Rhymed Lines Category), Beautiful Lines Poetry Contest (2010).
- NYSC/Wukari Local Government Certificate of Distinction for Meritorious Service as Community Development Service President (2010).
- Award for Meritorious Service as Project Coordinator, NACC (NYSC 2010).
- Mfanyima Orphanage Foundation Merit Recognition (2010)
- Testimonial from the District Head of Bantaje, Wukari LGA for community development (2010)
- Writers’ League Award for Outstanding Performance as Financial Secretary/Poet (2008)
I am a member of the WRR editorial team.