Words Rhymes & Rhythm (WRR Ltd.), in collaboration with Something for Everybody Ventures (SFEV), hereby announces the call for entries for the Eriata Oribhabor Poetry Prize (EOPP) 2016.
Nigerian Poets and lovers of literature, resident in any part of the world are invited to submit well-worded poems on the sub-themes of: Unity, Truth, Justice, Change and Sustainable Development in society, with focus on Nigeria.
Now in its fifth year, the EOPP was instituted in 2012 as an annual Prize to give the much needed attention to Nigerian poetry and encourage young Nigerian poets to use poetry as a tool for social change.
The yearly contest has become the leading platform for the discovery, encouragement, and celebration of poets in Nigeria. Four winners have emerged since its inception.
PRIZES TO BE WON:
- First Prize – N50,000 cash and a copy each of Beautiful Poisons and Crossroads & The Rubicon, both authored by Eriata Oribhabor
- First Runner-up – N20,000 cash and a copy each of Beautiful Poisons by Eriata Oribhabor
- Second Runner-up – N10,000 cash and a copy of Crossroads & The Rubicon by Eriata Oribhabor
NOTE: All poets on the shortlist of 10 will receive SFEV certificates of recognition copies of Crossroads & The Rubicon.
- Contestants are invited to submit a maximum of two (2) poems on the above theme.
- All submissions should be made via email as BODY of mail to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject: ‘ERIATA ORIBHABOR POETRY PRIZE 2016’. Note that ATTACHMENTS are not allowed.
- All entries must be the original work of the poet submitting it.
- There’s no limit to the number lines of any poem.
- Authors must add their full names and a biography (100 words maximum) in the body of the e-mail inclusive of full name, email address, and phone number(s).
- Poems containing profanity or vulgarity will be disqualified.
- The poems will be judged based on their artistic quality and creativity.
- The judges’ decision is final and under no circumstances will they enter into any correspondence with entrants regarding their decisions.
- Authors retain copyright of their poems but submission gives us the permission to publish selected poems in a future anthology as mentioned above.
- Entries are free.
ELIGIBILITY: Nigerian residents in any part of the world are eligible.
CLOSING DATE: Entries will be received until Wednesday 24th of August, 2016
ERIATA ORIBHABOR is a poet and former Chairman of the Association of Nigerian Authors (ANA) Abuja chapter. His revolutionary strides as chairman of ANA Abuja returned the chapter to its pride of place as the centre of literary activities, especially with its much celebrated and high profile guest author reading sessions. He championed the maiden edition of the Abuja’s version of the 100 Thousand Poets for Change event; a global non-governmental literary organization promoting poetry as a tool for ”seizing and redirecting the political and social dialogue of the day,” hoping to turn ”the narrative of civilization towards peace and its sustainability” for societal uplift.
Eriata is renowned as a promoter of languej and has written and edited poetry books in the language viz; ”Abuja na Kpangba an Oda puem dem” (IFRAOribhabor, 2011). He is the Editor; If Yu Hie Se A De Prizin; antoloji of puem-dem fo languej. Author of ”Beautiful Poisons” and forthcoming works include; Gud Old (a collection of Essays written in English) and Editor, ”Amebo Yad and oda ple-dem” an anthology of plays written in languej Naijá
Oribhabor manages a publishing outfit called Something for Everybody Ventures.
Mr Oribhabor is passionate about positive change for his country Nigeria and encourages young writers to develop their potentials towards achieving their dreams. He enjoys discussions on topical issues, traveling, tours and adventures.
I am a member of the WRR editorial team.