Dear esteemed Nigerian poets,
Words Rhymes & Rhythm, Nigeria’s largest poetry platform and newest publishing firm, brings you the Brigitte Poirson Poetry Contest (BPPC) organized in honor of Brigitte Poirson, French poet and lecturer, editor and promoter of African poetry.
BPPC was designed to reward the underappreciated poetic talents of Nigerian poets and promote the esteemed art.
The monthly contest will culminate into the Albert Jungers Poetry Prize (AJPP) which will be awarded in January 2016.
You are hereby invited to make submissions for the February edition on the theme: Leadership/Service.
- Contestants are invited to submit one poem on the above theme.
- Submissions should be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org as a Microsoft Word document, using Times New Roman (12 point typeface), without any indication of the POET’S name or identity in the document.
- All entries must be the original work of the poet submitting it.
- The CONTEST NAME AND POEM TITLE must be mentioned clearly, as the subject of the e-mail. For example: “Brigitte Poirson Poetry Contest : THE PUBLIC SERVANT”
- The maximum length of the poem should be one page, i.e. 30 lines (plus the title).
- Authors must provide their full names and a 50-100 word biography in the body of the e-mail.
- Nigerian residents in any part of the world are eligible.
- Entries are free.
- Poems containing profanity or vulgarity will be disqualified.
- The poems will be judged based on their artistic quality and creativity.
- The judges’ decision is final and under no circumstances will they enter into any correspondence with entrants regarding their decisions.
- The copyright of each submission remains with its owner.
- The contests will be held on a monthly basis.
- The top 10 poems will be automatically entered into the Albert Jungers Poetry Prize (AJPP) at the end of year.
- A compilation of the award-winners and the top 10 poems for each month will be published by WRR in
Prize to be won
- A cash prize of N5000 and a copy of ‘What Can Words Do?’ by Kukogho Iruesiri Samson will be awarded to the overall best poem
- Authors of the top three poems will be awarded a certificate each
- All top 10 poems will be automatically entered for the Albert Jungers Poetry Prize (AJPP)
- All top 10 poems will be published in an anthology in January 2016.
- Submission deadline is Monday February 16th 2015.
Kukogho Iruesiri Samson
I am a member of the WRR editorial team.